Since I did not know what design issues might lay ahead, I focused on the following tasks to minimize the pain and suffering in completing my car:
Initial body fit and finish
Prime body with a high quality epoxy primer
Assemble the car
Get the car inspected and registered in Minnesota
Drive the car several hundred miles to expose issues
Make necessary design changes
Final body fit and finish
Initial Fit and Finish
You won't believe how often the car parts had to be installed and removed to ensure proper function, fit and finish.
Danika suggests getting the radiator fixed (Fall 2003)
After years of tweaking the design, the parts are ready for painting. Priming is the next step.
June and July aren't the best months in Minnesota to be sanding fiberglass – it is quite hot and humid. One could say that I was itching to get this part of the project done. Believe me, there was always huge relief to get the parts out of the garage and into the paint shop. I was amazed how the primer made a part transform from a random patchwork of fiberglass and into a part that looks professionally made. The parts do, indeed, look pretty good. It's hard to believe how much work has gone into each one and that I'm almost done. It's also hard to believe I've made over 70 fiberglass parts (that is not counting some parts that were made more than once)!
One year after the first drive, approximately 1000 hours is devoted to tweaking, modifying and priming the parts of the car. The car is now ready for official Minnesota registration. (Sept 2005)
Hosted by MagicWeb.us